In this article, we will look at how to install AutoTrader on Google cloud. You can use any cloud (virtual machine) provider of your choice.
You need to open an account with any of the cloud (virtual machine) providers.
A cloud machine has various advantages, and it’s discussion is beyond the scope of this article. We are made a list of few major advantages:
- 99.9% uptime (You don’t need to keep your laptop/desktop running all the time)
- No network or internet issues
We recommend Google cloud for following reasons.
- One year free trial offer (As of Feb-2019)
- Best in class hardware & network
- Data center in Mumbai (fastest connectivity)
- Ease of use
Register on https://cloud.google.com/
Create a windows VM
AutoTrader needs a Windows machine, so let us create one.
- Go to google cloud console
- On menu bar, click “Compute Engine” -> “VM Instances”
- Click on “Create Instance” button
- Please see below configuration, you can keep other settings to their default values.
- Operating System: Windows Server 2019 Datacenter (with Desktop experience)
- Click create button at the bottom.
Setup Machine Access
- Set up windows username & passward (see below screenshot).
- It will show you a default user name, which will be your gmail account id, we recommend to use the same.
- It will auto-generate password, please save it somewhere safe.
- Once the password is generated, use the “Download the RDP file” option.
- You can use the RDP file to login to your virtual machine
- Once your virtual machine is ready, then your log in to machine using windows remote desktop (mstsc)
- Install Google Chrome (If internet explorer does not allow you to download setup of chrome, then download it on your local pc & copy setup file to could pc)
- Make google chrome default browser, by going to chrome settings
- Install AmiBroker (if required)
- You can download the setup of AutoTrader from our website & run it.
- Start your Virtual Machine
- Remote Login to VM
- Start AmiBroker (if required)
- Start AutoTrader
- Let the system auto-trade for the day
- Once trading is finished, make sure to shutdown the machine (to save VM charges)
How to set correct Indian Standard Time?
Windows 10 2019 has a bug, due to which TimeZone change from UI does not work. Please do the following:
1. Go to windows Date & Time settings, and set them as per screenshot below:
2. Start windows Powershell & run following command:
Set-TimeZone -Name “India Standard Time”
You can verify the timezone by following command:
How to Keep Desktop Always Active?
This is only required, if you using a Desktop Trading terminal (NOW/NEST/ODIN). This is NOT required for web based trading terminals like (Kite, Upstox, AliceBlue, NowOnline).
If you disconnect from a VM, then trading automation does not work with Desktop Trading terminals like (NOW/NEST/ODIN); this is because windows will terminal your active desktop.
- Download keep-desktop-active.ps1 file on your virtual machine Desktop
- Open the file in a text editor
- Replace the windows-user-name with your windows login name in the file
- Go to windows Task Scheduler
- Create a new Task (See screenshot 1 below). Make sure “Run with highest privileges” is checked
- On Triggers tab, create a new trigger (See screenshot 2 below)
- On Actions tab, create a new action (See screenshot 3 below)
- Action: Start a program
- Program: PowerShell
- Add Arguments: %userprofile%\Desktop\keep-desktop-active.ps1 > %userprofile%\desktop\desktop-active-log.txt